All Hunters. What we offer.
Although we grew up with folks who did little hunting, we highly appreciate the skill and patience needed to do it well. We offer accommodation and modest guiding support for bow, black powder, shot gun and rifle hunters. If you don’t have land owner contacts in the area, we can refer you – and introduce you if desired.
Bow hunters – white-tailed deer.
We offer you the added service of helping to set up on this quarter section of bush, trails, stream and marsh. We allow bow hunting only on Room To Grow property. We preserve this quarter as a wildlife refuge – keeping it as quiet as possible.
What’s available to hunt?
The Turtle Mountains, Whitewater Lake and the marshes in between offer excellent hunting possibilities. In order of frequency we get Deer, Goose, Duck, Moose and Elk hunters. Each of these has specific seasons, zones and requirements. We’ve seen sign of Wild Boar in the area – which have an open season. There’s been little sign of Wild Turkeys lately. Because the coyote population is still curving up and the deer population is trying to rebuild after a hard winter in 2010-11, there’s a fair amount of coyote hunting as well. Their winter pelts are looking great.
Some reasons hunters come back to us every year. We:
- Offer Guesthouse comfort (hot/cold indoor plumbing) and the rustic style of the Pond House.
- Have a kitchen (fridge, stove/oven, toaster, coffee press, pots, utensils) in the Guesthouse.
- Provide a cutting table, bins, cool hanging space, freezer, etc.
- Have good knowledge of the area as I, David, grew up in the Turtle foothills.
- Offer a daily (three day) weather forecast.
- Allow dogs freely in the Pond House and in kennels in the Straw Bale Guesthouse.
- Have both the Guesthouse and Pond House as independent buildings with wood fire heat.
- Live on the yard and I, David, work here, so we’re available at any hour.
- Want to hear what your specific needs are.
And personally we gain a lot of knowledge by interacting with hunting guests. I, David, hunt deer by rifle only at this point. I’m working on my bow hunting abilities.